A few mask and mask-making resources.
Face covering order by Alameda County (California) (where I live) Public Health Department, April 17, 2020.
CDC on Face coverings:
- Article in Science Advances 07 Aug 2020:eabd3083 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abd3083, “Low-cost measurement of facemask efficacy for filtering expelled droplets during speech“.
- “Study by UChicago, Argonne researchers found fit is key to protect wearers against COVID-19“
- “Study: High Thread Count Cotton, Silk Among Best Materials for Face Masks“, Kristen Thometz, April 28, 2020.
- “Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks“, ACS Nano 2020, 14, 5, 6339–6347, Publication Date: April 24, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252
- Two Stanford University doctors talk about masks, Dr. Amy Price, senior research scientist at the Stanford AIM Lab and Dr. Larry Chu, associate professor at Stanford University School of Medicine, director of the Stanford AIM Lab and lead of Learnly Anesthesia interviewed by KCBS AM Radio’s Stan Bunger, May 1, 2020.
- Audio (21:21) https://omny.fm/shows/kcbsam-on-demand/ask-an-expert-best-practices-for-wearing-cleaning
- Transcript (scroll down a tiny bit to get to it): https://kcbsradio.radio.com/articles/answering-your-questions-about-caring-for-and-making-masks
- “Dr. Price: So the virus is covered with a hard covering that is broken down with soap and water. So the soap actually destroys that covering, and it’s great for the cloth masks, to disinfect them.”
- “Dr. Price: Yeah, my concern is that since we have a large number of people with the virus that don’t show any symptoms or they’re asymptomatic, if I go to the grocery store and there’s a lot of people in the grocery store, all kinds and some of them are wearing their masks properly, some aren’t, they’re touching all the food – that’s a problem. So if I go to the grocery store, I wash my mask.“
- Masks4All.co: https://masks4all.co/
- 45 min video showing masks are effective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDwXwZXsDI&feature=youtu.be
- Czech Republic Face Masks Movement: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EWpWmyjzM4sNBF-7jp_1Y9a-pqiRg0wakGXy7kj11RA/preview
- “A User’s Guide to Face Masks”, April 17, 2020, The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/well/live/coronavirus-face-masks-guides-protection-personal-protective-equipment.html
- “Coronavirus: Which Mask Should You Wear?”, April 17, 2020, The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-best-face-masks.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
- “Help! My Mask Fogs My Glasses!”, New York Times, April 21, 20202: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/well/live/help-my-mask-fogs-my-glasses.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage&contentCollection=AtHome
- “There Are 3 Things We Have to Do to Get People Wearing Masks”, New York Times, May 27, 2020: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/opinion/coronavirus-masks.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
Scientific Information About the Best Materials for Homemade Masks:
Homemade Mask Patterns:
- Kaiser Permanente mask recommendation: https://about.kaiserpermanente.org/our-story/news/our-perspective/making-masks-to-support-our-nonclinical-personnel-and-guests
- From California State Senator Nancy Skinner: https://sd09.senate.ca.gov/sites/sd09.senate.ca.gov/files/e_alert/20200414_SD09_information_602.htm?utm_campaign=nancy-skinner-info-on-face-coverings-the-new-shelter-in-place-more&utm_medium=email&utm_source=information&utm_content=websitefooter
- Deaconess Hospital, Indiana face mask: https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask
- Facemask with elastic ears in open casing on side to string elastic through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RWII2-5_4
- Mask with one tie behind head, left/right strings, no pleats, 3 layer, filter pocket, very sturdy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA
- Easy mask with permanent flannel lining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJQexwK8Yg
- Sewitonline.com, Million Mask Challenge with good video lessons and quickie serger mask: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDCMUCBfa0oRc7GJv_gYQIzHKsEw&v=t2l1KOjR9x0&feature=emb_rel_end
- Mask with bias binding: https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/
- Curved front (I found it on Stonemountain & Daughter (store) in Berkeley, CA): https://freesewing.org/fu-facemask-freesewing.org.letter.pdf
- Curved front, long reach around neck with button and elastic closure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35PCqkTrt8
- Child size tie mask with pleat marks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXxWyJ2r1co
- Bias tape ear loops with attached single head tie and simple folds to find pleat marks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrDJjQ5MB0
- A few smart variations of masks using a gathered channel for ear elastics, not sewn pleats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji9TgvjV_50
- Sewn pleats with channel for movable ear elastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPOxUKJu2m0
- Mask with cotton jersey ties (t-shirt material):
Cousin Rebecca made 40 masks from one sheet! Wow!
She is using this pattern from Kaiser Permanente.